There is so much to do after a car crash. You may be overwhelmed by the decisions you need to make to protect your claim for compensation. You don’t have to handle all of these decisions on your own, however. Instead, our experienced Kansas City car accident lawyers can guide you through the recovery process and represent you during insurance negotiations and in court.
Mistakes to Avoid After a Car Crash
Some mistakes that should be avoided after an auto accident include:
- Forgetting to take action at the accident scene. If you are physically able to do so, it is essential to take photos and call the police. However, if your injuries prevent you from taking action before the accident scene is cleared, you can still pursue a legal recovery, but you should not risk making mistakes that could jeopardize the success of your claim.
- Delaying medical treatment. Prompt medical care allows a doctor to diagnose and treat your injuries so that your injuries don’t worsen, and your pain is managed. Additionally, your medical record will help prove that the car crash caused your injuries.
- Ignoring your doctor’s treatment recommendations. If you go against medical advice, your injuries may get worse, you may suffer unnecessary pain, and you may have trouble recovering for the full value of your car crash injuries.
- Admitting fault. Don’t apologize or admit any fault for the accident without speaking to an attorney first. What you say could be used to decrease your car accident compensation.
- Using social media after a crash. Anything you post may be misconstrued and used against you, even if your privacy settings are strict.
- Talking to the insurance adjuster or trying to settle the case yourself. The insurance company wants you to settle for as little money as possible. An insurance adjuster may try to trick you into saying things that hurt your claim or signing a lowball settlement. Once you agree to a settlement, you are unlikely to get any additional compensation for your injuries.
- Waiting too long to contact a car accident lawyer. You have a limited amount of time to seek compensation after a car crash, and you risk losing essential evidence in your case if you wait to contact an attorney.
Let Us Take the Guesswork Out of Your Accident Recovery
Our experienced Kansas City car accident lawyers are here to help you every step of the way. Call us or reach out to us through this website today if you’ve been hurt in a car crash. We would be happy to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with you so that you can get the information you need to avoid a costly mistake.