If you or someone close to you has been injured in a passenger car accident, you may be facing a long road to recovery. With medical bills piling up and the prospect of lost wages due to the injury, the situation can feel overwhelming.
However, it’s important to know that you may have legal rights and claim options available to help you get back on your feet. Depending on the circumstances of the accident, you may be able to seek compensation for your medical bills and other expenses. Having an Austin car accident lawyer look at your case is a good way to get started.
In this article, we'll provide an overview of passenger car accident injuries and legal rights and claim options. We’ll also discuss tips for finding a lawyer who can help with your claim. Our goal is to help you understand your options so that you can make informed decisions about seeking compensation for your injuries.
Common Passenger Car Accident Injuries
If you've been in a passenger car accident, you may have suffered from a range of injuries, including physical harm and psychological stress. Common physical injury types resulting from passenger car accidents include:
- Broken Bone Injuries: A broken bone can be caused by the sudden force of being thrown around in a collision, or can be caused when a body is pressed up against an object such as the steering wheel or dashboard.
- Internal Injuries: Internal injuries can be caused by blunt force trauma when organs are damaged due to being hit by another object.
- Soft Tissue Injury: Soft tissue injuries occur when ligaments and muscles are torn due to the impact of an accident.
- Psychological Damage: Psychological damage can be caused by experiencing or witnessing an accident or violent event such as a passenger car accident, leading to symptoms such as anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
If you have been injured in a passenger car accident, it is important to get medical attention and take steps to protect your legal rights. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options for seeking compensation for your pain and suffering.
The Legal Rights of Passengers Involved in Car Accidents
If you were a passenger in a car accident, you have the legal right to hold responsible the driver who was at fault for the crash. Depending on the specifics of the accident, you may also be able to seek compensation from other parties who were involved.
When considering your legal options, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- You should always consult with an attorney who specializes in car accident claims.
- The amount of compensation you are entitled to depends on the circumstances of your accident and your state’s laws.
- You may be able to pursue a claim for both economic and non-economic damages such as medical bills and emotional distress.
- In some cases, when multiple parties are involved, an experienced lawyer can help identify which party is liable for your injuries.
By understanding your legal rights as an injured passenger, you can ensure that you receive the full amount of compensation that you deserve—whether from insurance companies or third parties—and protect yourself from any legal repercussions that could arise from your injury claim.
Types of Damages Available in Texas Car Accident Claims
If you become the victim of a car accident, you may be eligible to claim damages through a personal injury lawsuit. Texas law allows for both economic and non-economic damages to be awarded in these cases.
Economic damages cover financial losses due to the accident, such as lost wages, medical bills, and property damage. These are relatively straightforward to calculate and will be based on documented costs associated with the accident.
Non-economic damages are those which cannot be calculated in a monetary form. This includes suffering from pain and emotional trauma caused by the accident, such as disability or disfigurement, loss of companionship or consortium, or mental anguish. It is not easy to place a figure on these losses but compensation can still be obtained for them.
Texas also has punitive damages which are designed to punish particularly negligent parties who may have played a role in causing an accident. These will only apply in extreme cases of negligence or recklessness where an individual’s conduct was deemed grossly irresponsible by the court.
What to Look for When Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, finding the right lawyer to help you with your claim is essential. When selecting an attorney, there are a few key characteristics to look for:
Experience and Specialty
It’s important to find an attorney who specializes in car accident law, as they will be well-versed in the ins and outs of this particular field. Experienced attorneys may have a better understanding of the laws related to car accidents, be more familiar with insurance companies and their practices, and be able to offer more insight into how your case may unfold.
Good Communication and Negotiation Skills
You should look for an attorney who will communicate with you regularly throughout the entire process. An experienced lawyer should also possess strong negotiation skills, as they may need to negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf.
It's always a good idea to research the lawyer thoroughly before committing. Check out online reviews and case results to get an idea of how successful they have been in representing similar cases.
Key Steps to Take Immediately Following a Car Accident
If you or a loved one has been injured in a passenger car accident, there are key steps that you should take immediately following the collision. This includes:
- Seek medical attention. Even if you do not feel any pain right away, it’s important to get checked out by a doctor as soon as possible. This can help establish the medical history of the injury, how long you have suffered, and the level of care needed to recover.
- Contact the police. It is important to report any accident to the police in order to document it and make sure that all information is recorded accurately. This can be used later as evidence in court if your case goes that far.
- Gather evidence at the scene of the accident by taking pictures, videos and recording witness statements if available. It is also important to collect insurance information from all drivers involved and keep any documents regarding your car repairs for potential reimbursement later on down the line.
- Contact an attorney who specializes in passenger car accidents as soon as possible after an accident occurs. An experienced lawyer will be able to provide legal advice on what steps you should take moving forward and will be able to represent your case in court if necessary.}
Call Fletcher Law If You've Been Injured As A Passenger
If you or a loved one has been injured in a passenger car accident, it's important to understand your legal rights and claim options. At Fletcher Law, we’re here to guide you through the process of seeking compensation for your injuries.
We have experience handling cases involving car accidents that resulted in serious physical injuries, property damage, and lifelong impairments. Our attorneys are qualified to represent victims of all kinds of passenger car accidents, regardless of their cause or the type of vehicle involved.
Our team can assist you with a wide range of services in the aftermath of an accident:
- Obtaining financial relief for medical bills and lost wages
- Determining if punitive damages may apply to your case
- Building a strong argument for compensation using evidence, witness testimony and expert opinions
- Negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf
- Taking legal action when appropriate
At Fletcher Law, we recognize that injury victims are put through an incredibly stressful and difficult situation. We'll do everything we can to make sure your legal rights are protected and you receive fair compensation for the harm you’ve suffered.